With Memorial Day, the 4th of July, and plentiful summer get-togethers right around the corner, I thought it would be appropriate to post how I avoid breaking the bank on bank holidays.
- Don’t Travel
- 38 million Americans will travel this Memorial Day. Traveling is the #1 cost associated with holidays in America. Gas increase, therefore it costs more to take a road trip or fly out to see the fam. Avoid going long distances if possible… It’ll save you time AND money.
- Don’t host a party
- I hosted a housewarming party and easily spent over $100 on food alone last month — It’s a lot easier to go to someone else’s party than it is to open your home to others. Plus- less cleaning is involved.
- BYOE (Bring Your Own…Everything?)
- If you do want to host a party, just tell everyone to bring their own meat to grill, beer to drink, and provide dessert and a vegetable. You don’t have to murder your money to enjoy the people you love.
- Skip the meat and beer
- Meat and alcohol are expensive — I’d say that you can contribute with other delicious summer snacks if you’re headed to a party. Pasta salad, vegetables, fruit bowls, etc.
- Enjoy FREE activities
- The 4th of July is my favorite holiday. Why? Because there’s no expensive gift giving, you can simply enjoy each others company and stuff your face with great food. There’s also free parades and fireworks almost everywhere. Many museums and local hotspots have discounted prices, or even free events. Take advantage of cheap fun!
What are your tips and tricks for saving money and having fun during holidays? Email us at email@example.com!